News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Advancements in Macular Degeneration  (Read 363 times)

gfpstar

• View Profile
Advancements in Macular Degeneration
« on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
I found this article and found it interesting, especially if you know someone with macular degeneration!

https://www.nvisioncenters.com/macular-degeneration/treatment-breakthroughs/

lyschen

• View Profile
Re: Advancements in Macular Degeneration
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 12:14:36 AM »
Ah I'm so glad I came across this, thank you for posting!! Will definitely send to my grandpa to give him hope

Mdlouis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 12:15:23 AM »
Woah

ronniechen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
This article may provide some insight into halting macular degeneration -- https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200122122109.htm

"Gelfand was able to restore the enzyme in mice by adapting a form of gene therapy already used to treat other eye diseases in people. His work suggests that a similar approach could treat both forms of AMD, but much more testing will need to be done to determine a potential treatment's safety and effectiveness. If successful, though, it would be the first treatment for dry age-related macular degeneration and could significantly improve treatment for wet AMD."

"As it stands, patients with [wet] AMD have to undergo frequent injections into their eye, which can be painful and comes with some risks. They have to come to the eye doctor once a month or every other month. A lot of these people can't drive. So it's a huge burden," he said. "The idea behind using gene therapy like the one we propose is that one treatment would last for a very long time. It's a sustained therapy. So we can improve their vision and reduce the number of doctor's visits they have to make."