News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Night vs Day Contacts  (Read 1185 times)

frenchie

• View Profile
Night vs Day Contacts
« on: January 31, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

wondering if I should invest in night contacts or day contacts? I like how night contacts you don't have to worry about them falling out during the day (I do a lot of sports/physical activities) but I think day contacts are a lot more comfortable and cheaper as well.

Rogerma1992

• View Profile
Re: Night vs Day Contacts
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 10:54:38 PM »
Iíve had night contacts (or ortho-k lenses) since 2005. They correct your vision temporarily and are generally hard lenses. The initial fitting and lenses costs between $1500-$2000. How it works is that they are gas permeable contact lenses that gently reshape the front surface of your eye, the cornea, so that when you wake up the next morning, you have ď20/20Ē vision. Pros include not having to wear contacts or glasses during the day when at school or work, and also maintaining your prescription at what it is to somewhat prevent it from getting worse. Cons include higher risk of infection as you are using the same pair of hard lenses, which may lead to scratches and wear and tear, throughout the year, as well as more expensive treatment. To parents night corrective lenses for kids is highly convincing ó they wear the contacts at night, pop them out in the morning, and have perfect vision for the day. Be sure to ask your optometrist for certain risks and benefits for these night corrective lenses. I actually stopped wearing mine in 2012 and my eyesight has not gotten worse. I have switched over to glasses though for ease of use and not having to fill up on contact solutions.

For day lenses, you have the option to chooses hard or soft lens, as well as dailies or weeklies. Iíve heard from my friends who wear contacts that they get dry eyes but the soft dailies are convenient as you can trash them after use and donít have to worry about potential risk of infection as you can whip up a new pair quickly! The FDA does not approve extended overnight wear. And the more frequently you replace, the more comfortable and healthier your eyes can be!

lyschen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 12:12:40 AM »
One of my friends had been looking into LASIK but, because she'd worn night contacts for 9 years up until her initial evaluation, she had to first wear glasses for at least 9-10 months and then get a second eval to accurately measure her eye pressures. Just a word of caution if you're ever considering LASIK in the future.

bobblebubble

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »
I also have experience with night contacts (it was very popular in my school district in high school for some reason). At first I also liked the convenience during sports, but over the years I didn't like the feeling my eyes would develop if it was getting late and I hadn't put them in yet. It was also inconvenient if you were ever out late at night and didn't think you were going to be able to get the full 7-8 hours of wear or whatever. In the end I switched to soft lenses and I honestly haven't looked back. Just my two cents though.

Cwhite34

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 12:19:09 AM »
I wore day contacts and it wasnít too bad. I think itíd be better than using the night contacts since Iíve sometimes been lazy and slept with the day contacts in and it wasnít that comfortable. 

I wore day contacts for sports for years and only rarely had problems.   Itís kinda nice to know youíre able to take them out or put them in whenever you want. Up to you though!

frenchie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:18:32 AM »
I wore day contacts and it wasnít too bad. I think itíd be better than using the night contacts since Iíve sometimes been lazy and slept with the day contacts in and it wasnít that comfortable. 

I wore day contacts for sports for years and only rarely had problems.   Itís kinda nice to know youíre able to take them out or put them in whenever you want. Up to you though!

I prefer day since theyre easier maintenance  8)

tomadams_1993

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »
I also have experience with night contacts (it was very popular in my school district in high school for some reason). At first I also liked the convenience during sports, but over the years I didn't like the feeling my eyes would develop if it was getting late and I hadn't put them in yet. It was also inconvenient if you were ever out late at night and didn't think you were going to be able to get the full 7-8 hours of wear or whatever. In the end I switched to soft lenses and I honestly haven't looked back. Just my two cents though.

I wore night contacts and though you don't have to worry about them falling out during the day, I think I prefer soft lenses too