News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Any LASIK eye surgery experiences?  (Read 321 times)

parasitebob

• View Profile
Any LASIK eye surgery experiences?
« on: January 27, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
Hey everybody

So just some background, I'm a 28 old man who recently got a consultation with my doctor and is considering whether I should get LASIK surgery to correct some of the refractive errors that I have and some blurry vision. I've read up on it but was wondering if anyone could give me some accounts of their own experiences after getting LASIK? Anything that you think I should know or consider or bring up with my doctor?

masterdragon

• View Profile
Re: Any LASIK eye surgery experiences?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »
I had a classmate try to get Lasik but after tests was rejected because his eye pressure was too high.  I see an article about how after LASIK you need to use steroid eye drops, which can increase eye pressure.  If the eye pressure goes too high you can get glaucoma and lose part or all of your vision.  https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/hypertension.htm

lyschen

• View Profile
Re: Any LASIK eye surgery experiences?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »
The ophthalmology residency at my med school offers a discounted rate for LASIK to its med students (and their spouses) since the fellows are the ones operating for training purposes. I was super pumped at the chance to fix my terrible eyesight, and of course took them up on the offer. I'm glad to say that I had an amazing experience -- the fellow was knowledgeable and answered all my questions prior to the procedure, and the surgery went smoothly. That was over a year ago, and I still haven't had any dry eyes or other problems other people sometimes mention. All in all I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat. Just make sure that you get a feel for the doctor the first time you meet with them and see if they're someone you would feel comfortable trusting your vision to.