News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Should I periodically look at far away things when reading?  (Read 952 times)

redsox3

• View Profile
Should I periodically look at far away things when reading?
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
I heard about eye strain from reading making my eyesight worse.  I like to read books for fun a lot, but someone told me my eyesight will get worse from staring at books for an hour or two at a time (or more), and that I should look at something far away every now and then to refocus or relax my eyes.

Is there any truth to this? If so, how often should I look far away?  Two minutes for every hour of reading?  More? Less?

mortylucky

• View Profile
Re: Should I periodically look at far away things when reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »
Same, hate looking at my bright computer screen for too long
 :o

tomadams_1993

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »
Get a blue light filter for your screen and phone! I've found personally that it really helps with eye strain and fatigue.

hax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:22:16 PM »
Get a blue light filter for your screen and phone! I've found personally that it really helps with eye strain and fatigue.

Do you have any recommendations?

tomadams_1993

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 07:32:58 PM »

Do you have any recommendations?

I use these reading glasses
https://www.amazon.com/LifeArt-Blocking-Computer-Eyestrain-Magnification/dp/B06W2L7NFS?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_15

chiemisuz13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »
I just got new glasses due to my VSP insurance benefits prior to the end of 2019. The eye doctor there recommended Crizal Prevencia. It is now the first preventive lens offering selective protection from blue-violet light and UV rays. I've loved my new glasses this past month!!! It really protects my eyes from harmful light every day. More screen time on my phone and laptop!

https://www.essilorusa.com/products/crizal/faq
"HELP DEFEND AGAINST
HARMFUL BLUE LIGHT**
The sun, computer screens, smartphones, tablets, fluorescent bulbs—we encounter blue light every day. Crizal® Prevencia® lenses provide all the benefits of no-glare lenses and help protect against Harmful Blue Light. Crizal Prevencia lenses, combined with a lens embedded with blue light filtering technology, can reduce exposure to Harmful Blue Light by up to 20% while also providing UV protection.** "

chiemisuz13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JZunEPITk&feature=emb_logo -- Introducing Essential Blue Series Lenses

chocoknight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
I use a chrome extension called Flux which you can set the timer for daily, and it'll automatically adjust the brightness of your screen with the amount of light throughout the day I've found that it really helps me to sleep at night, even if I have to use the computer right before bed.

blebbo_man

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
Flux was such a lifesaver for me. I work from home, and usually I end up staring at the computer monitor for way too many hours and at all hours of the night. Now I tell all my friends to install it, it's free!!