Author Topic: HELP with shadowing?  (Read 479 times)

kettilcat

• View Profile
HELP with shadowing?
« on: January 27, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
Does anyone have any tips on how to get shadowing? Just decided to change to premed (non-traditional non-science major in university) and not really sure how to go about it...

kettilcat

• View Profile
Re: HELP with shadowing?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 12:23:33 PM »
Does anyone have any tips on how to get shadowing? Just decided to change to premed (non-traditional non-science major in university) and not really sure how to go about it...

Also just to add some more info: I just started my sophomore year in university

themachinist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Just go to your university's website or nearby hospitals and look up physicians. Cold emailing worked for me, just make sure you send a lot and be patient

nbortiland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »
Emailing works, just be patient like themachinist said.

Also, you might have a better chance by emailing smaller local clinics rather than the larger hospitals due to the smaller size. It worked for me!

membermambo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 12:49:35 PM »
Emailing works, just be patient like themachinist said.

Also, you might have a better chance by emailing smaller local clinics rather than the larger hospitals due to the smaller size. It worked for me!

yeah I emailed a ton of hospitals but they either didn't respond or took forever. I had much better luck with smaller community clinics in the local area.

gfpstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
You could talk to any family physicians or friends in the medical field as well. I shadowed by family physician and just asked him during one of my visits and he said yes.

Moneymonkey88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 11:02:40 PM »
I would suggest filling out some applications online for various schools and clinics, public or private hospitals. Many release their applications prior to the start of the semester. Volunteering is also a good way to get involved. Many volunteer opportunities may lead to shadowing opportunities, especially if you make good connections with healthcare physicians early on!  Keep at it 💪🏻

blebbo_man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
My son recently graduated from medical school and I remember him having the same problems. IIRC I think he just cold-emailed a ton of faculty at his school and eventually one worked out. Just gotta be persistent and hopefully one will bite soon!

Serendipity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 10:21:24 AM »
Talk to your school’s premed committee or career center — they have precedent and can help students find good shadowing and volunteer opportunities

Serendipity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:21:50 AM »
Just be ready to do interviews. I interviewed but they ran out of spots :( apply early

bobblebubble

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:43 PM »
Interviews just to be able to shadow?? Whattt....that's crazy :o